Flood Elevation Certificates

Many property owners are receiving notices from their insurance carriers that it has been determined that their property lies in a flood plain and therefore the owner must take out flood insurance. Since flood insurance is very expensive, most property owners will hire a land surveyor to prepare a Flood Elevation Certificate. Hopefully the end result will show that, while a portion of the property may lie in a flood plain, the house or other improvements do not. Also, the property owner then knows that, in the event they wish to build any new structures or an addition to existing structures, they need to avoid building in the flood plain.